December 8, 2008:
The Sherman Town Board met in regular session Tuesday, December 2nd 2008 at the Sherman Town Hall. The meeting was called to order at 7:30 p.m. with President Robin Berg presiding.
Members present: Robin Berg, Gerry Karpen, Sandee Sutton and Cheryl Swenson.
Others present: Dwana Eslinger, John Eslinger, Ellen Karpen
The agenda was approved.
The minutes of the November meeting were read and approved.
The treasurer's report was read and approved.
CLAIMS APPROVED FOR PAYMENT:
SECOG annual dues $177.10, Argus Leader Nov. minutes $29.88 special hearing notice $12.32, Jesse James Country Store 12.2 gal gas $30.22, Xcel Energy lights $230.74, Minn. Comm. Water November water $25.00, Cheryl Swenson 6 month salary $150.00,
Gerry Karpen 4 regular & 2 special meetings $90.00, Ann Thiel 2 month salary $80.00, Robin Berg 6 regular meetings & 2 special meetings & President $130.00, Sandra Sutton 6 reg & 2 special meetings $120.00, Brian Berg 1 hour snow removal $9.00, Neil Winterton 2 battery cables & oil dry $33.65, Sioux Falls 2 Way Radio Service repair of fire siren $460.65.
1. The Garretson FFA gave a practice presentation of arguments for and against the construction of the Sherman Ethanol Plant. The 8 girls and their advisor did an outstanding job.
2. There was discussion of the vacant Town Clerk position. Dwana Eslinger had previously indicated an interest in taking the position. The Board voted to appoint Ms. Eslinger to the position of Town Clerk commencing with the next regular meeting. The Board will forward to Eslinger a Computer disk with all work done to this time to use as a template.
3. Diagonal parking was discussed on 2 affected streets.
4. Karpen has recommended the purchase of a new air compressor from Menards at a cost of $400.00, the Board agreed with the recommendation and directed the purchase of the new compressor. Motion passed.
5. Continuing discussion of efforts to clear blocked alleys, favored by Sutton. After hearing many arguments against continuing the effort, a motion was made and seconded to terminate the effort. The vote was 2 ayes, 1 nay.
6. The new zoning ordinance was on the agenda but the requested revisions have not been completed yet. The discussion will continue at the January meeting.
7. The Bullet Alcoholic Beverage Hearing was set for Tuesday, December 9th, @ 6:30 p.m. in the Sherman Town Hall.
8. The purchase of ink for the copy machine was discussed.
1. The Council voted to raise the pay for Board Members to bring it more in line with what communities of a similar size are paying. The Board Members pay has been raised from $15 per meeting to $25. The Clerk and Treasurer positions have been raised from $300 to $500 per year. The Zoning Administrator was made a paid position at $200 per year.
2. The Town Christmas Party was set for December 20th @ 1 p.m. in the Sherman Town Hall.
3. The Board received the Boundary and Annexation Survey in preparation for the 2010 census. Deadline for filing is March 1st, 2009.
Motion by Karpen to adjourn, second by Sutton.
The next regular meeting will be January 6th, 2009 @ 7:30 pm.
Submitted by Gerry Karpen