Mailing address is:
Town of Sherman, 160 Zeliff Ave., Sherman, SD 57030
The website is: www.Shermansdak.com
- Sherman is a small, town of just over 80 residents, and has a
church, a tavern, an automotive body repair shop, an agricultural seed company,
and trucking operations.
is incorporated. The Board of Trustees of the Town/Corporation consist
of 3 members, from which one is elected to be President of the Board
and serves in the capacity of a Mayor. The Town also has a Clerk and
- Sherman is zoned and building permits are required.
- Electrical service is provided by XCel Energy. Cost
is about 9.5 cents per KWh.
- Water service is provided by Minnehaha Community Water Corporation of Dell
- Phone service is provided by Alliance Communications of Garretson, SD.
- Sherman has ultra-high speed, fiber optic, internet service available,
reasonably priced from Alliance Communications.
- TV Cable service is available from Alliance Communications, and includes some 100 channels many in HD format.
- Sherman does not have a natural gas provider, most residents use propane for
heating. Other heat alternatives are: corn stoves, wood stoves and fuel oil.
- Sherman has undeveloped land within its borders available for residential or
commercial use. Mobile homes (newer than 10 years old) are allowed as are
Governor Houses on privately owned, individual lots. Minimum lot size is
generally 100' x 150'.
- There are no sanitary or storm sewer systems.
Sherman belongs to the Garretson School District and kids take the bus to
Garretson to go to school.
The streets are not paved.
- Fireworks are allowed in town.
- Sherman is one of only 2 communities in the state of South Dakota that are
served by a class 1 rail line. There are just 6 miles of class 1 line
(Burlington Northern Santa Fe) in South Dakota. The line enters the state near
Garretson and exits the state after passing through Sherman.
- Split Rock Creek passes through Sherman on its way to merge with the Big Sioux
River east of Sioux Falls. The creek does provide for some fishing
Sherman is served by 2 county highways, with County road 103 running north and
south on the eastern edge of town and county road 114 running east and west on
the northern edge of town.
- Sherman is in the Central Time Zone (CST) and the GPS coordinates
are: 43.76N 96.475W
- Sherman's Fire Department has been dissolved, but Sherman does have a Civil Defense receiver and residents are
notified of pending severe weather.